Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - The Scary World of Fanfic
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Scary World of Fanfic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: The Scary World of Fanfic Reply with quote

Yeah, just wondering for those of you who read Aladdin fanfiction a lot....what are some stererotypical/OOC things you see people make the characters do ALL THE TIME, or some fanfic plots that just won't DIE? I'm afraid to really venture into fanfic, but I'd like to know what I'm afraid of going into first Laughing
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see what you guys come up with. I've read only a handful, and have in my head only one story I intend to write. It'd be nice to know what not to do.
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will kill the writer of the next Jafar/Jasmine story I see. That is all.

once I figure out a way to kill people over the interweb.
AladdinFan92
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Scary World of Fanfic Reply with quote

Oh,God...I practically live on fanfiction.net,so I gotta put my two cents in,lol

Plotlines

1. Aladdin's Past: There are WAY too many fics about Aladdin's past,and they usually discuss Aladdin's mother and HER childhood,too. Some are good...but I don't get into many of them.

2. Jasmine's Past: At first I really liked fics like this but...they get old fast. I think the general overview they give of palace life in the first movie is enough for me.

3. Mozenrath's twisted demented past: This is where you get to the more...perverse stuff. There are A LOT of fics that discuss Moze's time with Destane. Most of them involve him going through some sort of sexual abuse and then eventually coming so powerful,he murders Destane. Interesting idea...but used way too many times.

4. SLASH: There are quite a few well-written Al/Moze fics. This ties in with #3,because these fics usually have flashbacks to Moze's tormented past. I don't mind them...but I prefer Al/Jas fics.

Annoying lines:

There are A LOT of corny lines used for Al and Jas. Yes,they're one of the most romantic Disney couples--but some people still go over the top. There are just some things I can't picture them saying. Main ones that bug me are pet names...such as "my love",or in Aladdin's case "my princess". Sometimes people go modern and say stuff like "sweethart" or "honey" But I don't particularly care for those,either. Al and Jas are just too young and feisty to get that sappy,IMO!

Let's see,what else...lately,there have been quite a few fics about Al and Jas having kids...this doesn't really bother me,because I'm writing one myself,and feel like I started a trend,lol. But I do wish people would come up with newer ideas. I got plaugerized TWICE on the Library of Agrabah awhile back,which really pissed me off. And it just happened to dazzeling diamond too so...it's sorta getting out of hand.

That's all I can think of for now. More random stuff to come later.

AWWWW!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I knew there was gonna be the kid thing and the past stories; that was a given Laughing

I think I'm the only person in the world who wouldn't have Aladdin call Jasmine "princess". It sounds cute and the "my princess" thing is totally in-character, but I guess I've been swayed the time he used it as a bit of an insult to use it any other way now Laughing. It's been tainted.

What about OCs? What are they like? How many "Aladdin's lost sister/brother" or "I'm a street rat just like Aladdin and here's my story" fics are there? Laughing
AladdinFan92
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Oh, I knew there was gonna be the kid thing and the past stories; that was a given Laughing

I think I'm the only person in the world who wouldn't have Aladdin call Jasmine "princess". It sounds cute and the "my princess" thing is totally in-character, but I guess I've been swayed the time he used it as a bit of an insult to use it any other way now Laughing. It's been tainted.

What about OCs? What are they like? How many "Aladdin's lost sister/brother" or "I'm a street rat just like Aladdin and here's my story" fics are there? Laughing

Ah...that's the other thing I forgot to mention,lol. I'm currently reading an "Aladdin's lost sister/brother" fic. Actually,i'm reading two of them,lol. They're both REALLY good,though,and they're the only two I've seen in a long time. As for the "I'm a street rat just like Aladdin and here's my story" thing....that's so annoying it's not even funny,lol. Haven't seen anything recent about it,but if you look back at older fics it's been used about five times *rolls eyes* Every once in awhile someone will try it,but it ends up following the same mold as the first movie,so they never get popular.

AWWWW!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Janette Morgan
Jafar's Hourglass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Mozenrath meets a beautiful girl and falls in love. Something tragic may or may not happen to their relationship. (See The Khalidarha Chronicles.)

*Mozenrath decides he's going to capture Jasmine and marry and/or impregnate her.

*OMGMOZENRATHISBACKANDHESGOTANEWTOTALLYAWESOMESOURCEOFPOWEROMG!!!
(Translation: Mozenrath manages to return and bring a new power with him. Sometimes a new ally. Who is gorgeous, female and probably has PMS.

*Jafar meets a beautiful/sweet girl and develops some kind of relationship. She then turns him over to the Forces of Good before he has a chance to get his grave dug out.

I don't know how often these occur - I don't read a lot of Aladdin fanfiction - but I do know they bugged me to extremes. Especially the Mozenrath/Jasmine.

Avatar base by Angy(-chan) at Yume Studio.
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozenrath/Jasmine fics scare me purely on principle. Nothing good can ever come of that situation.
Amadou
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmlei wrote:
Mozenrath/Jasmine fics scare me purely on principle. Nothing good can ever come of that situation.

And often it is accompanied by a brutal beating of Aladdin Crying or Very sad It always makes me almost ill afterward!!
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amadou wrote:
Emmlei wrote:

And often it is accompanied by a brutal beating of Aladdin Crying or Very sad It always makes me almost ill afterward!!

Which is why I don't read them! They seem so... out of step with the feel of the series overall. Y'know?
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amadou wrote:

Oh, I'll make him feel better Laughing
Ariellen
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the purely bizarre, and/or just to see how much Aladdin really enjoys watching Jasmine eat bagels, check out the AlEs fics...about Aladdin's secret affair with Esmeralda. There's a whole saga out there! You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll be scratching your head like there's no Tomorrowland!
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*Jafar meets a beautiful/sweet girl and develops some kind of relationship. She then turns him over to the Forces of Good before he has a chance to get his grave dug out.

You have just given me another reason to stay away from fanfic entirely. Thank you.
Mariposa79
Lovesick Demented Reject

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the Aladdin being gay. I've seen too much of those. that is out of character because Aladdin loves Jasmine and that's it.
Too much Jasmine and Jafar love affair stories.
oh yeah, I've seen alot of stories about Al and Jas's children. The only ones that I have enjoyed is the Ali and Azul trilogy. But I rather would like to read how Al and Jas would venture into parenthood and the pregnancy thing and their lives married because marriage is a hard thing to do.

Omg! there was this one story that was totally graphic. It gave me mental images and I could write anymore because if I do that stupid mental image would POP up. I guess it was the writers a phillic thing but I would rather read Al and Jas have babies not MAKE babies.If you know what I mean.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any story where the writer decides Aladdin should pursue Someone Who Is Not Jasmine. (Well, prequels aside; that could work, as Aladdin did say he'd dated 'tons' of girls.) After all the fuss he went through just to get Jasmine and after everything they've been through together, I just don't see it happening. Ever.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum