Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - The Scary World of Fanfic
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Scary World of Fanfic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, I have to be careful with what I say here!

1. ok, I don't like overly sexual mozenrath fics...I just don't.

2.No offence to slash lovers, but I just don't like it, . I can read it, if it's well written and give reviews. But any story that is just about any Aladdin characters being gay and for no rhyme or reason, without a story, just can't stand it! So generally I stay away from slash fics.

3. I really don't like the Jafar/Jasmine pairing. Simply because when people write it, they just don't seem to have the reason, that pull that makes you want to believe these two should have a relationship. If someone can recommend a good one, let me know.

4. I, like Aladdinfan92, don't like the whole mushy pet names. They just don't do that. They are to young and feisty, like she said, etc for those sorts of names. I know it's happened a bit in the series, but even then it was out of character!

5. I don't mind lost brother/sister of al, because people can actually make that believeble. I have written one myself, and well, I probably could have done better cause it was my first fanfic, but it was still possible.

6.I do not like it, though, when it's jasmine's lost brother/sister. I can understand if the author wanted to alter the aladdin universe and include a sibling as though they'd been there from the start, but I don't like the discovery of new ones.

7.I actually like stories about Al and Jas's kids, I'm reading a great one now, written by Aladdinfan92 (hint hint, to AF92, UPDATE! it's been too long!) I don't mind them, so long as it's not just about them, and their parents are as involved in the storyline!
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your number 6. I remember reading this story once where Jasmine had a sister who was magical or something [not to mention a total Mary Sue] and she was kidnapped by Jafar and locked up in his tower for years and everyone forgot she existed. Of course the fact that her name was Sakura [which totally gets you extra points on the Mary Sue Litmus Test because there's even a question "Is your character's name Japanese?"] made me even more annoyed with her. Ah well, it did illustrate that I hate Jafar/Jasmine's Mary Sue Sister even more than I hate Jafar/Jasmine. This is coming from someone who said on the first page of this thread that she would kill the author of the next Jafar/Jasmine story she saw.
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Jafar/Jasmine fics just don't do it for me. I just don't see it...it just isn't believeble! Well, I can see why Jafar would want her...but Jas, going by the movies, would NEVER want him!
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't...think he's that attracted to her. I can see where they're getting that from, but eeeehhhhh.
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest pet peeve is the idea that Mozenrath was sexually abused by Destane. I just don't see it happening and I've never read a story where the issue was used well and with good taste. Most of the time it just goes something like this,

Mozenrath: *something random reminds him of the abuse*
Aladdin: Hey, what's wrong with you?
Mozenrath: None of your business.
Aladdin: Goddammit, tell me!
Mozenrath: *spills everything* So there! How could you and your goody good friends EVER understand me?!!? *emo*
Everyone: Aww, that is so awful. Now we understand that you really have a heart of gold and none of the evil things you ever did was really your fault!

Optional ending:

Aladdin: I love you, Mozenrath. Jasmine who?/Jasmine is a real bitch.

I also have a very hard time getting into any stories that pair Aladdin and Jasmine with some other character. The two of them have been through so much that I can't see them falling in love with someone else, unless magic/mind control etc. is involved. With any other character, I'm ready to accept anything. Abis Mal/Haroud? Mechanikles/Mirage? Mozenrath/Rasoul? Write it well and I'm your best friend forever.
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafar wanting Jasmine pretty much stems from the power she represents and that he wants. I can see where they're getting it from, but still... It makes me cringe at the thought.

Trying to rationalize Mozenrath's background> Eh, no. I get wanting to do some background, but I just don't see him being sexually abused. Besides, his turning Dastane would be vengence enough. He's not that complicated! And I'm not going into the emo/sappy/out-of-character endings. Rolling Eyes
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, VampireNaomi!! *bursts out laughing at little script!* especially the *emo*

I can't accept anyone else with Jasmine or anyone with Aladdin!
Unless, in the story others characters are there to test them...like the strength of relationship, and they stay together in the end...I can still understand that.
AlJasLover
Streetrat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mozenrath: *something random reminds him of the abuse*
Aladdin: Hey, what's wrong with you?
Mozenrath: None of your business.
Aladdin: Goddammit, tell me!
Mozenrath: *spills everything* So there! How could you and your goody good friends EVER understand me?!!? *emo*

That's funny that you throw *emo* in there cause my brother was watching Aladdin with me the other day and he called Jasmine "the first emo kid" !!!!

But really if you think about it she kind of was... after Jafar tells her Aladdin has been beheaded all she does is lay around the palace crying and depressed LOL
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be upset, too--he's hot Laughing

But nah, Jasmine isn't THAT emo compared to someone like...Eeyore Laughing
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:

Laughing That's kinda funny but true. Eeyore's become a fave over the years (oddly, it alternates between him and Tigger. Talk about extremes), but when you think about it, he definately has an emo quality to him.

As for Jas, I'd agree she's not really emo. Emo to me involves a lot of self-pity. What she had was grief and anger, and then she more or less moved on. Of course, having "Prince Ali" show up helped the healing process a lot!
AlJasLover
Streetrat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah I'll def agree with that! I just thought it was funny when my brother said it because it was during a scene when she was crying lol
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just cause jas was upset (and i would b 2) dosen't make her emo, lol. Seriously, this typecast is getting crazy!
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I just don't...think he's that attracted to her. I can see where they're getting that from, but eeeehhhhh.

I can see it too, but they blow it out of proportion! I mean, the first time around he only wanted to marry her in order to be Sultan, and then when he already is, it seems like a "hmm, now I can have everything I want" afterthought. I hate when writers just think he has some kind of obsession with Jasmine. Jafar != Frollo. Kthxbai.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafaria wrote:
I can see it too, but they blow it out of proportion! I mean, the first time around he only wanted to marry her in order to be Sultan, and then when he already is, it seems like a "hmm, now I can have everything I want" afterthought. I hate when writers just think he has some kind of obsession with Jasmine. Jafar != Frollo. Kthxbai.

That's pretty much how I saw it. No lasting obsession; she just happened to be a particularly attractive female in the area - and he just happened to be having a lot of fun wallowing in his victory.

Trouble is, a lot of teenlyblips have a bad case of Black & White disease - everything is one extreme or the other.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was falling asleep, I somehow ended up thinking about the things that always throw me out of Aladdin fanfics. Here's the list.

Aladdin/Mozenrath: I'm a firm believer of that every pairing can be written well, but that doesn't mean the end result will please everyone. I've tried to read bestia and Lynn Osburne's fics because they seem to be the best, but I dislike this pairing so much that I just can't enjoy it, no matter how well written it is.

Mozenrath, the innocent abuse victim: I'm sick of how sexual abuse from Destane's part is almost always an importan element in Mozenrath fics. If the issue was handled well, okay, but most of the time it's only there to provide some cheap angst and an excuse for Mozenrath's actions. "Oh, what horrible things he has gone through! No wonder he did evil things! Let's forgive him at once and be best friends!"

Rasoul, the one-dimensional idiot: When you need a violent bully in your fics (especially Aladdin/Mozenrath) Rasoul seems like the best choice, and I guess he is. What I hate is that some people refuse to see that there's more to him than his hatred for Aladdin; he's loyal to the Sultan and Jasmine (even so that he can tolerate Aladdin) and I like to think there's some kind of friendship thing between him and the other guards. If I ruled the world, everyone would have to watch Destiny on Fire before attempting to write Rasoul.

Iago, the innocent abuse victim #2: The relationship between Jafar and Iago probably wasn't all roses and kisses, but I'd like to know who came up with the idea that Iago was abused and tortured by Jafar, and that fear is the only reason he worked with him in the first movie. When I look at Iago in the first movie, I don't see an innocent victim who is beind made to act against his will out of fear of violence. I see a greedy crook who knows perfectly well what he's doing and what it will do to others. He and Jafar were the perfect partners in crime (even said by the animators on the commentary). The fear and violence only becomes apparent in the second movie, but then again, Iago is having doubts, so Jafar needs something else to convince him. Eh, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's really annoying when fics go "Iago was tortured by Jafar, so he can't really be blamed for anything he did in Aladdin. He had no choice, he's innocent and not greedy at all!" Iago is one of the deepest characters in Aladdin and went through redemption. Fics that make him entirely innocent ruin all of that.

"In secret, I always had feelings for you!": I love odd pairings that are well written, but the cheapest way to attempt them is to skip all character development and declare that the characters were always in love, they just never showed it to anyone. It's lazy writing and will annoy everyone who wasn't already convinced that the characters were doing each other behind the scenes.

There's probably more, but I really need to start doing something productive right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum