Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Mary Poppins
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mary Poppins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Mary Poppins Reply with quote

It's weird: I haven't seen Mary Poppins since I was little, but when ABC Family aired it on television for the past week or so, I remembered how much I loved it!

Critics have complained that Disney's characterization of Mary Poppins was softer and more sentimental than the one in the children's books, but I don't agree. The movie Mary Poppins was pretty strict, even though she made everything fun. And it was hilarious how she basically acted like nothing extraordinary happened. Remember how when Mr. Banks demanded an explanation after the chiminey sweeps had danced around the house, and she replied: "Let me get one thing perfectly clear: I never explain anything!"

I had never seen Dick Van Dyke before the movie Mary Poppins, so I thought he really was British! He was good in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but I liked him better as Bert.

Can I just say how cute Mary Poppins and Bert were together? Even though they never made it clear that they were anything more than friends, they totally had a thing going on. Bert was so crazy about her, and Mary Poppins underneath all her primness and vanity (though it wasn't really a bad kind) was more fond of him than she was willing to admit.

And of course I loved all of the songs. I used to know them by heart because I had the Disney Sing-Along tapes, but my favorite was "Step In Time." I've been in several musicals in high schools, so I really appreciate all the hard work that the actors put into the choreography. They made it look like a lot of fun though. Very Happy

Has anyone seen the new Mary Poppins musical on Broadway. I read the New York Times review, and I don't think they liked it that much. And yes, I know that they changed some of the lyrics, particularly in "Supercalifragilistiexpialidocious" (I don't I spelled that right, but who could?), only I'd still like to see it if it ever went on tour.
rn
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly How many Disney films did she do?

ABC is showing ONE of them tonight, but It is 20th Century fox one.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the only Disney stuff she's done is Mary Poppins, the Princess Diaries movies, and Eloise.

I also found this. Not a Disney film, but interesting nontheless.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Janette Morgan
Jafar's Hourglass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, Mary Poppins is a pretty awesome movie -- and Bert was, to say the least, impressive. Especially the dancing penguin scene -- I LOVED that scene as a kid, and couldn't figure out how he got his pants to do that! LOL I tried to get mine to work that way, but they just never quite came down far enough. I think that's my favorite scene out of the movie, right there.

Avatar base by Angy(-chan) at Yume Studio.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to try and do the dance with the penguins along with Bert Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum