Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Dune Quixote
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dune Quixote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Dune Quixote Reply with quote

I've just got able to rewatch "Dune Quixote", and I'm taking the opportunity to start a discussion about it. (Thanks Merkal for putting it up).

Firstly, this episode is just fun. It's a chance to see Aladdin acting silly, and really plays up the cliche of the brave knight. I loved the Don Quixote reference and spoof. It just has me grinning.

Secondly, it's a Sadira episode. She's my favorite supporting character in the series, and we get to see her tenaciousness in full swing. She doesn't quit! I think this is the only episode where she and Jasmine were actually quarreling over Aladdin ("Strike up the sand" was a surprise, and "Sandswitch" Jasmine wasn't really aware of the true relationship). Kind of interesting to see the jealous side of Jasmine in a little more in character context.

Now, I just need to check if "Witch way did she go?" is up.
Merkal
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome. I want to save Witch Way Did She go for later. What I like it is that Jasmine has to team up with Sadira for Aladdin to get normal again completly against her will. Then at the end she goes shopping with Sadira, why? The girl didn't only want to steal the princess boyfriend (again) Jasmine also had to get through allot trouble to undo Sadira's backfired magic. I never got that.
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a lot of girls fight over boyfriends. Some never speak again, but others decide the fight is superficial and remain/become friends. And Sadira finally decided that she was going to stop going after Aladdin, because he ws Jasmine's boyfriend. And we know from "Which Way did She Go" that what Sadira really wanted was true friendship.

~Hikaru
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd rather be on Sadira's good side. She may not be much of a villain, but she has the means to be a real problem if she should so decide. Perhaps by taking her out on a shopping trip, Jasmine may hope to to further discourage any future hijinks from Sadira - because perhaps if she feels like Jasmine is her friend, she won't be so inclined to take her boyfriend.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I do agree the ending was rather too pact, but I tend to look at it in a form of hindsight, leading to "Witch way did she go?". But, I also think there's only so far you go with a character whose only goal is to get another girl's boyfriend. As far as Jas-Sadira's new friendship, I think it came from their working together, a start of new respect for each other. The shopping spree was pretty much an excuse to bond between girls.

Come to think of it, Jas didn't really have that many friendly female relationships in the series.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my favorite episode! I love episodes where the main character is out and everyone else gets a chance to save him. Everyone had to work together and put their differances aside.

Plus, who can resist DRAGONSLAYER? Laughing
Iago
Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He spooned me!! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that line Laughing
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Joe wrote:
He spooned me!! Laughing

Heheh! That line. Actually, there were a lot lines in this episode.

(paraphrasing here)
Sadira: "Don't they teach you anything in the palace?"
Jasmine: "Not thievery!"
Calluna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmlei wrote:
As far as Jas-Sadira's new friendship, I think it came from their working together, a start of new respect for each other. The shopping spree was pretty much an excuse to bond between girls.

Can't believe I never responded to this thread... Embarassed

Anyway, I agree with this. Up until that episode Sadira doesn't know Jasmine very well at all; she seems to think that she's this perfect prissy princess that Al only loves for her beauty and status, and that Al and Jas don't really have anything in common. Look at "Strike Up the Sand" (the only ep written mostly from the point of view of the villain, I think!), Sadira's stealing in the marketplace and tricking the guards while Jasmine's shopping for silk to make a stupid froofy outfit for Aladdin. From Sadira's POV, she's not only unsuitable for him, she's trying to change him!

She still thinks about Jas this way in SandSwitch and the beginning of Dune Quixote (notice both times she makes herself a princess? He only loves her because she's a princess, therefore if I'm a princess he'll love me!) But then in Dune Quixote she has to actually spend a lot of time around Jasmine, and, hey, she actually has a personality and she's good at the whole adventuring thing, so maybe she and Aladdin do have something in common!

And, of course, once she's friends with Jasmine she doesn't need Aladdin anymore, since, as we find out in "Witch Way Did She Go?", friendship is all she wanted the whole time. Probably no one had ever been nice to her before Al, so when he was nice to her she blew the whole thing out of proportion. Sad
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Sadira being redeemed from her quasivillainy, but if she's friends with Jasmine that totally destroys my Mozenrath/Sadira pairing because Sadira isn't going to go off with someone who tries to destroy her friend's kingdom. Oh well. I still like it, even if it makes no sense.
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:

And, of course, once she's friends with Jasmine she doesn't need Aladdin anymore, since, as we find out in "Witch Way Did She Go?", friendship is all she wanted the whole time. Probably no one had ever been nice to her before Al, so when he was nice to her she blew the whole thing out of proportion. Sad

A lot of good points made. I'm pointing this one out because, as often happens with me, I'll sometimes look at preceding episodes through the lens of one that stands out in regards to the character exploration. After looking at WWDSG?, I looked at Sadira as this lonely girl with a tough life. I liked that about her, and while she's one of my fav supporting characters but not my fav villian (I could never see as a true villain).

Jafaria wrote:
I like Sadira being redeemed from her quasivillainy, but if she's friends with Jasmine that totally destroys my Mozenrath/Sadira pairing because Sadira isn't going to go off with someone who tries to destroy her friend's kingdom. Oh well. I still like it, even if it makes no sense.

I've only run across one of those, and I didn't quite get the pairing. Of course, the one-shot pairing I have in my head makes even less sense!
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmlei wrote:
Of course, the one-shot pairing I have in my head makes even less sense!

And what pairing is that? *curious*
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VampireNaomi wrote:
Emmlei wrote:
Of course, the one-shot pairing I have in my head makes even less sense!

And what pairing is that? *curious*

How about this? I'll get my act together and get the first half of the fanfic written within the next month, and I'll let you look at it, critique it, threaten me with painful death for the absurdity of it, and then I'll say.
Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafaria wrote:
Yeah, you pretty much have to turn Mozenrath good or Sadira evil to make it work; I've seen a few that had them as a couple sometime before Witch Way Did She Go? and it always seemed like a stretch. Confused It would be interesting if someone could make it work, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum