Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - The Little Match Girl
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Little Match Girl
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: The Little Match Girl Reply with quote

Okay, I got the Little Mermaid DVD, and even though I knew the story and should have known better, I watched "The Little Match Girl" short. Yes, it was tragic and depressed me soon afterward, but otherwise, I thought it was beautiful. I guess Disney can still do decent movies after all.

Who thinks they should go back to hand-drawn animation sooner than the upcoming "Rapunzel" and "Enchanted"? *raises hand* I like computer animation and everything, but I think they're kind of overdoing it. That's all anyone seems to be doing these days.
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't very well go back sooner, it takes a long time to make an animated movie. Confused
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw The Little Match Girl. It was beautiful! Very Happy And a little morbid. Confused
Merkal
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful short. Helmed by Roger Allers and produced by Don Hahn I didn't expect anything different. The short being handdrawn in CAPS. I'm trying to figure out if there are Aladdin connections besides Roger Allers but the Internet is not help. Guess I've to revert the DVD.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one made me cry. I couldn't watch it without crying the first three times. This is what great animation (heck, any great medium) does- evoke emotions, even when not word is spoken.
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you said Spartan Girl.

Watching the Mermaid DVD really brought back memories of the disney that I grew up with, of what Disney used to be and should be. And match girl was absolutely beautiful. Was it done recently? I can't remember what they said.

Anyway, a beautiful little film. I remember that the original story was in one of our bookas in school when I was a kid, but I couldn't bear to read it because it was so sad.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoujo wrote:
I agree with everything you said Spartan Girl.

Watching the Mermaid DVD really brought back memories of the disney that I grew up with, of what Disney used to be and should be. And match girl was absolutely beautiful. Was it done recently? I can't remember what they said.

Anyway, a beautiful little film. I remember that the original story was in one of our bookas in school when I was a kid, but I couldn't bear to read it because it was so sad.

It was originally going to be part of "Fantasia: 2006", but the project was nixed. A lot of shorts were completed before then, so maybe we'll see more from it.
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Little Match Girl" has been nominated for the Best Animated Short Oscar. It was announced this week.

*crossing her fingers*
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is a pity that Disney doesn't make their "big" movies like that any more Mad

I don't even bother with keeping track of what Disney does anymore, because all they seem to be doing is those computor-animated films that really get on my nerves. However, movies like Match stick girls proves that there still is a lot of talent there.
Vegitabeta
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're gonna have a bash at bringing 2D animation back with the Frog Princess and Rapunzel, but that's a little way away.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of mad that "Matchgirl" didn't win. Though I hope that Disney will realize that 2D animated films can still garner attention just as well as CGI films.
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it should've won. Disney hasn't had any movie of this quality in a long time. It's either unappealing CG stuff or mediocre sequels that sometime have potential but always fall behind on the originals in the end.

Even the TV series don't reach the peak Disney Television had in late 80's/the first half of the 90's. The only currently running semi-appealing series is Lilo & Stitch. There was a nice episode about a circus on Jetix today. But Lilo doesn't hold against Ariel who is just back in TLM series story and character wise. Though the animation quality improved allot in a decade or so.

Anyway letīs see Enchanted gets an Award next year. Maybe Alan if the score is good which it no doubt will be.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merkal wrote:
Anyway letīs see Enchanted gets an Award next year. Maybe Alan if the score is good which it no doubt will be.

Probably not for best animated film lol. But there would have been riots in the streets if "Pirates" didn't win for best special effects. Their acceptance speech was rather funny.
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone explain to me how that beautifully animated film lost to one that looked like it had been drawn by a seven year old? Call me naive, but I assumed that for a film to win "Best Animated Film," the animation had to be decent! Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum