Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Eye of the Beholder
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eye of the Beholder
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Eye of the Beholder Reply with quote

'Kay. I recently saw "Eye of the Beholder" over the weekend, and I've been thinking about it and wanted to get others opinions about the episode. Part of me likes the episode, or at least the potential of the episode. I mean, Jasmine is turning into a snake and tests the kind of love between Al and Jas; that's kinda neat (or it seemed that way to me when I saw it as a kid Razz ). That, and it ended with the -- to me, anyway -- cool revelation that Fasir and Mirage used to have a thing going on, which is never brought up again Crying or Very sad . Anywho, part of me likes it, but part of me is kinda critical of it.

1. This is one has been mentioned by others, and I agree: the quick effect of the lotion when Al put it on, compared Jasmine's which took the entire day. I'll chalk it up to lack of time, but I think the act was enough, maxing at him starting to show snake features. But that's me.

2. Is it just me, or did that journey not seem to be all that difficult? Mirage keeps going on and on about how the gang's perserverance over the trials and dangers. But, compared to other stuff they've come across, this was pretty tame. A bunch of thieves with a pet cephalopod, psst!! A broken bridge? Carpet or balloon please. IMO, the most dangerous thing was the two-headed wolf. Rather underwhelming.

That's all I got at the moment. Your thoughts?
Merkal
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the gang could've done that journey with eyes closed. Didn't those thieves resemble former members of Abis Mal's gang or are thieves in the Aladdinverse so general drawn?

It would've been a better plot if Mirage did a little more trouble then yelling from the sideline. It's not very Mirage like to wait till the end before attacking Al and co.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree the gang could've done that journey with eyes closed. Didn't those thieves resemble former members of Abis Mal's gang or are thieves in the Aladdinverse so general drawn?

They keep reusing the same models-- some of Abis Mal's guys are in the Forty Thieves too.
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merkal wrote:

It would've been a better plot if Mirage did a little more trouble then yelling from the sideline. It's not very Mirage like to wait till the end before attacking Al and co.

Exactly. Either she'd do something or let there be something else. I think this is a case where a re-write would be great.
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmlei wrote:
Merkal wrote:

Exactly. Either she'd do something or let there be something else. I think this is a case where a re-write would be great.
I don't know, I think that's very much like Mirage. Remember "Shadow of a Doubt"? And even in "The Lost Ones", which is my favorite Mirage ep, she didn't even show up until the last five minutes. This is why I'm not a big fan of her, actually; there's a lot of wasted potential there. Sad
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
don't know, I think that's very much like Mirage. Remember "Shadow of a Doubt"? And even in "The Lost Ones", which is my favorite Mirage ep, she didn't even show up until the last five minutes. This is why I'm not a big fan of her, actually; there's a lot of wasted potential there. Sad

Hmm. Good evidence. Mirage is very much a manipulator, not much for direct confrontation. She didn't really do much in the episode with Chaos until he revealed that she sent him. In regards to this episode, she's an instigator, gets things rolling, and pretty much observes things until the very end when her plan may unravel, then she acts and comes in to gloat. That may be the biggest weakness of the episode; no challenge, even from the villain. I think I liked her more involved, like "In the Heat of the Fright." Maybe a little more interaction throughout, psychological meddling.
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as far as the thieves are concerned...

If they look like they might be from Abis Mal's gang, they probably were at one point. But with Abis Mal's stupidity, probably he has a high turnover rate. And that's why you see them in the 40 Thieves, and in this episode. Of course imagine what they must be thinking, running into Aladdin no matter what. Laughing

And, I agree the tasks weren't anything different from any other episode. They should've at least had to answer a riddle or two. At any rate, I think the writers could've come up with more challenging things to accomplish, but 1) we're dealing with 30 minutes here. I'm afraid, to make the challenges CHALLENGES, the episode might have had to become a two-parter. Plus, the message was that Aladdin loved Jasmine no matter what she looked like, and maybe the writers didn't want to lose the message in all the adventure.

As for the fast-acting/slow-acting lotion? Well, maybe Jasmine just didn't use as much as Aladdin did.

~Hikaru
Amadou
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Eye of the Beholder Reply with quote

Emmlei wrote:

1. This is one has been mentioned by others, and I agree: the quick effect of the lotion when Al put it on, compared Jasmine's which took the entire day. I'll chalk it up to lack of time, but I think the act was enough, maxing at him starting to show snake features. But that's me.

My version: do you remember the scene, where Jasmine saved Al from falling down and unwittingly wounded him with her thorns? They made several traces appear on his arms. I think that the lotion just reached Al's blood through them much faster than it was in Jasmine's case. Jas's lotion had to sink through her skin first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eye of the Beholder Reply with quote

Amadou wrote:
Emmlei wrote:

My version: do you remember the scene, where Jasmine saved Al from falling down and unwittingly wounded him with her thorns? They made several traces appear on his arms. I think that the lotion just reached Al's blood much faster than it was in Jasmine's case. Jas's lotion had to sink through her skin first.

omg! That thought never even crossed my mind, yet it makes perfect sense! Thanks for pointing that out! Smile

~Hikaru
Amadou
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it crossed my mind not long ago. I just hadn't pay attention to that fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that could be it. The annoying thing about the animation in a lot of series is that they don't always keep wounds. I can easily see the wounds still being there; as you said, the spines wounded his arms, which is where he applied it, and the potion went in.
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Eye of the Beholder Reply with quote

Amadou wrote:
My version: do you remember the scene, where Jasmine saved Al from falling down and unwittingly wounded him with her thorns? They made several traces appear on his arms. I think that the lotion just reached Al's blood through them much faster than it was in Jasmine's case. Jas's lotion had to sink through her skin first.
I thought it was one of those spells that ended at sunset no matter when you put the lotion on or something, but I like your theory better. Very Happy
A Whole New World
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Eye of the Beholder Reply with quote

One of the weirdest episode of the series,very very delusional and sorta creepy,poor Jasmine,eww.
I don't know if you heard but many parents in the page of Disney Princess Stories Volume 3 were very angry about this episode and said how bad it is (Thought I noticed that almost all of those users are parents who bought this for their kids,not Disney fans or anything),you can read it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess-Stories-Beauty-Shines/dp/B0007Z9R5M
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about missing the message.

Jasmine's scary? Yes indeed. That may be the POINT, guys. Laughing
A Whole New World
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no other way to show? maybe just keeping her half snake like a mermaid or something is okay but... what happened to her later is too much,they do might be missing the message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum