Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Tips on Drawing Aladdin Characters
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips on Drawing Aladdin Characters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinFan92
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Tips on Drawing Aladdin Characters Reply with quote

I've been trying my hand at Aladdin fanart, and it turns out that it's A LOT harder to draw the Aladdin characters then I ever dreamed. Does anyone have tips on drawing them? Espescially Jasmine? Mostly I use old Disney Princess coloring book pages as references,but a lot of my pictures still suck. Any advice?

AWWWW!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - learn to draw other things as well. It helps.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, just remember their basic shapes (Aladdin two triangles, Jasmine hourglass, etc) and to keep it curvy.

As for Jasmine specifics, are you looking for just facial tips?
AladdinFan92
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,I'm looking for tips for drawing all of her,but yes, her face is the main thing I want to master.

AWWWW!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look through pages and pages and pages and pages of screencaps. Imagine how your hand would feel if it were drawing those lines on paper.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Ariellen
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinFan92 wrote:
Well,I'm looking for tips for drawing all of her,but yes, her face is the main thing I want to master.

The curves at the top of her eyes are flatter than the bottom curves. I believe she's roughly 5 1/2 heads tall, according to a how to draw the Princesses book that I have, but a lot of the tips they give on Jasmine aren't quite...'right.' That book, and even How to Draw Aladdin, show most of the reference pics and such as stock art/promotional art rather than the way she actually looks in the film (which sort of irks me because when they point out specific things to watch on the other Princesses, and Tinker Bell, they show sketches of them in poses that are exactly as they appear in their films). The book How to Draw Aladdin teaches you to draw Jasmine in the bird pose and a few other stock-art poses. So they're helpful, but don't make those your ONLY sources of reference if you get your hands on those books. They ARE really good for helping you place guidelines, determine proportions, etc., but they don't show you how to draw Jasmine's face exactly as you see her on film.

All of the Aladdin characters except Jafar are very 'fluid' looking; he's the most angular looking character of all of them and has the most 'detail'...lines in his face (esp. around his nose), the shapes of his fingers, etc. And like AG said, all of the characters can be reduced to very basic shapes that are helpful to keep in mind.

I agree with Syera that looking at screencaps is helpful; most of the decent drawings I've ever done of the characters have been based on screencaps.

That's all I've got right now, though; I only draw a little for fun. I'm not a 'real' artist by any stretch of the imagination.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinFan92 wrote:

As far as her face goes, you want to remember basic shapes and important lines that can make or break her face. I'll do my best to explain, although I doubt it will work Laughing

Her eyes are sorta oval shaped, but they're not a completely perfect oval; I see that a lot with drawings and it makes her eyes squinty. They're more like an almond in the sense that they have a point, go straight a little, and then round off at the end but still have a little point when you create her eyelashes.
Also, don't drown her with eyelashes and eyeliner. It just drags down her eye. You have to remember that thick/thin thing (ooh, say that ten times fast Laughing). In the front part of her eye, the line is going to be thin, but then increase in size as you reach the end where the tip of the eyelash is going to be. The same thing appies to the bottom only you don't start at the tip in the front; you start at the back. The thicker line should NOT go past where you have her eyeball at. It should be just to the back of it and nothing else.
And don't just add pointy triangles for the tips of eyelashes either. Round it off a little.

**DO NOT ADD EYELIDS JUST BECAUSE** Laughing I see this one a lot. Someone will draw Jasmine with this happy wide eye expression and then I see all of her eyelids. That makes no sense. You are going to see a *little* bit of her eyelids at the top because of the fold, but not all of it. Do NOT add this huge eyelid line so you can draw in pretty eyeshadow when the character's facial expression does not match up.

Oh, also **DO NOT JUST PLOP AN EYEBALL ANYWHERE YOU PLEASE** Most of the time, the eyeball is going to be kinda hanging from the top. If you add it in the middle or have it touch the top and bottom, you are changing the facial expression without knowing it. Depending upon where you want the character to look depends on where that eyeball is going to go. It's not always dead center in the middle or at either end of the eye.
Her eyes are super important because they are so big, they are a main focal point on her face.

Her nose is small at the end and doesn't go out that far. I haven't seen too many problems with this (although I see people make Aladdin's nose HUGE Laughing). It's a very sutle bend on the line at the top and bottom to make her forehead and lower nose. Also, the top line of her nose 9 times out of 10 will line up with the point of her eyebrow unless of course you are drawing a full frontal view of her face. Then you'll just have two little lines at the bottom for her nose. But even then, you should be able to draw the lines and they should match up with her eyebrows. I think her nose is about one eye or 3/4ths an eye longer than where you have her eye at now, but don't quote me on that. You just have to kinda use your judgement.

She has medium sized eyebrows. I've seen them really small and really big; just keep it in the middle. And they're not super long/stretch through her whole face and straight either. These too have sutle points, but they're also rounded ever so slightly. Her eyebrows are a little wave when relaxed, but not a really big wave because when you do that, looks like she's making this face "o_O" all the time. A lot of the time, though, they are underneath her hair so you don't have to worry about them that much, but if she's frowning or doing something that would cause them to be lowered you have to remember this. When they are underneath her hair, you're usually only going to see the front part, so they are just going to be rounded Vs.

Her upper lip is thin, but her lower one is bigger. Not TOO big, though. Don't make them the same size. One of the little arches of the top lip, which are also rounded off, will usually line up with the lower line of her nose or be pointed to it, but they are not connected.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of for the moment. I wouldn't suggest using the series or sequels for help because she's drawn about 50 ways and breaks a few of these rules Laughing. Use the original.

I'll come back and write body as soon as I figure out what I want to say Laughing
Mariposa79
Lovesick Demented Reject

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finishes reading AG's tips on how to draw Jasmine's face, runs and crumbles my drawings of Jasmine away.

And I was practicing too. Laughing It was difficult enough that I was trying to do Al.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't crumble them up! Laughing I am in no way qualified to talk. These are just things I've seen works and doesn't work with Jasmine.
The Evil Chalupa
Some Enchanted Genie

Location: The Magic Hookah.... and coffee maker, which also makes Julienne fries!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the movie, press pause at every single different Jasmine expression, and draw every single different Jasmine expression. Aaaand, Violin! You've memorized how to draw her and can continue drawing her which ever way you wish without any reference.

Well, that works for me... so ... yeah...
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't oversize features, that are purposely small. I made that mistake with jas's lips, it looked weird, then when i changed it her whole appearance changed and she like her normal self again, also there is a book, designed especially for drawing disney princesses, I'll see if i can find it.

It actually is an Aladdin fanfic...don't be put off by the banner Smile
Check it out Very Happy at

www.fanfiction.net/~elementalfour
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bad habit of making her stomach a bigger hourglass than it really is. If I am drawing her on a larger scale, her stomach gets bigger, but if it's a little 7 inch doodle then I'm ok. Watch for that too!
Whilethecitysnoozes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screencaps. And a certain devotion to the character you draw.

Try to do lots of quick sketches, 1-3 minute ones, and don't get discouraged, it does look like s#%t at first Laughing I made huge improvements that way. It helped me not to get stuck in details and get more of a "feel" how to draw the character rather than "hmm, what is the exact width between the eyes here..."
But yeah, lots and lots of screencaps!

Good luck bwt!
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this thread has been dead for a while but I just joined last night and was browsing.

AladdinsGenie really hit all the major pointers for not only Jasmine but for drawing a person in general when it comes to eye placement, eyelids, etc.

I used to try and draw the Aladdin characters precisely on model back in high school. (And actually your signature really put me into a time warp... that's one of my Al/Jas sketches from Back In The Day when I was a freshman in high school! I don't think it's even online anymore. lol)

Since high school I really developped my own style of drawing that is heavily influenced by Disney but is a little more rooted in the realism of their movies like Pocahontas and Hunchback rather than the slightly stylized character designs of Aladdin. The thing is, you can still recognizeably draw the Aladdin characters in your own style as long as you pay attention to key features that make them "them". For Jasmine it would be the slanted eyes, rounded nose, heart-shaped face and the general style of her hair.

I've given up on trying to draw Jasmine on model because I just can't make myself do it. I've gotten to where I make her body a little bigger in comparison to her head and make her waist have more substance to it just because I'm so obsessed with anatomy that I just can't make myself draw her as that tiny of an hourglass. Sometimes it looks like she'd break in two if she bent over far enough. On all of the characters I also tend to make their hair look a little more realistic rather than the black masses that they are while on model.

Here's another example of your own style applied to Jasmine:

http://malicedogg.deviantart.com/art/Princess-Jasmine-WIP-19464379

DEFINITELY not on model, but beautiful all the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum