Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - The Scary World of Fanfic
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Scary World of Fanfic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Mozenrath WAS an innocent character abused at one point, that doesn't change the fact that he's a villain now and is simply too dangerous to be left to his own devices.

That's the thing with villains - especially real-life ones. You can feel sorry for them, but even if they do have a tragic backstory, it doesn't change the fact that they're still too dangerous to be left running loose, and something has to be done to stop them before they cause more damage.

Consider the pedophiliac sexual abuser - many were sexually abused themselves as children. Do I pity them? YES. Do I think their horrific, painful past means all should be forgotten and they should be set free? NO. Because I know that their past experiences have messed them up enough to make them a danger to society.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VampireNaomi wrote:

Rasoul, the one-dimensional idiot: When you need a violent bully in your fics (especially Aladdin/Mozenrath) Rasoul seems like the best choice, and I guess he is. What I hate is that some people refuse to see that there's more to him than his hatred for Aladdin; he's loyal to the Sultan and Jasmine (even so that he can tolerate Aladdin) and I like to think there's some kind of friendship thing between him and the other guards. If I ruled the world, everyone would have to watch Destiny on Fire before attempting to write Rasoul.

First, I don't read that much Aladdin fanfic, so I can't point to specific evidence for support, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Second, I so agree that people really should watch "Destiny on Fire." That's the closest we get to a Rasoul episode and helped to modify my attitude towards him. By that point in the series, you could say he's getting used to the idea of Aladdin as a member of the royal family, and has grudging respect for him. Al's still this outsider who's now in, and the two have a past that they haven't gotten over, but Rasoul is more than a bully. Rasoul has a strong sense of duty, which does place Jasmine and the Sultan higher than Aladdin, but the captain is still a good guy. Just a really tough nut to get into.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to mention that the ideas seem to be getting worse.

There's a fic over on fanfiction.net about Jafar and his... eating disorder. WTF x 10,000,000.

(I feel kind of bad calling out a specific fic/specific "writer," but when you fail that much, you deserve it, I'm sorry. Laughing)
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing All that person's stories scare me, so...
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pathetic excuse for a fanfic writer should not exist. I'm ashamed that it calls itself a Jafar fan.
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe such a story could even exist...that's beyond bizaare!

Ah the world of fanfics, is a both a curse and a blessing to the fandoms they are devoted to.

It actually is an Aladdin fanfic...don't be put off by the banner Smile
Check it out Very Happy at

www.fanfiction.net/~elementalfour
Oasis
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read many Aladdin fanfics, as I'm afraid of what I'll find and be scarred forever, but I know one genre that I still seem to hate.
Which is the random one-shots about the characters doing something... completely random... and out of character. (Aw man I'm going to feel bad for this) but at one point I read a one shot about how Aladdin was 'bored' so Genie pulled out a TV and they started watching some show... And that was about it. Ta-da! I facepalm'd.

However I have read one fanfic that does seem to have a good Mozenrath past! Really, it didn't have to do with sexual abuse from Destane, and I was happy! (It was Antiphony by Cantare) however that fic kind of also had Jasmine/Mozenrath undertones, or so far at least...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasis wrote:
However I have read one fanfic that does seem to have a good Mozenrath past! Really, it didn't have to do with sexual abuse from Destane, and I was happy! (It was Antiphony by Cantare) however that fic kind of also had Jasmine/Mozenrath undertones, or so far at least...

I like that one, too, even if Aladdin kinda comes off as a lazy bastard. Laughing

And it is *so* nice to not have an evil rapist Destane running around!
Cantare
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got off my lazy bum and decided to join the message board.

After reading this thread I was getting a little anxious with the anti-anythingnot-A/J but I'm glad that some have enjoyed my fic so far. Wonder if you'll change your minds after the latest chapter though!

I agree, when I first got into the fandom last year I was sorely disappointed by the abundance of sexual abuse fics for Mozenrath. His character deserves so much more than a pitiful cliche and over-angsty flashbacks. I've always pictured him as someone who doesn't give a damn about how evil he is, doesn't want pity, and would sell anyone around him to the devil for some more power. The bad boy image is so easy to fall in love with.

Aladdin and Jasmine are a lovely couple and after reading Katie Ann's fic Gone I really fell back in love with that pairing. But in my own writing it's been fun and challenging to stretch them thin. To each his own!

http://www.fanfiction.net/~cantare
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*waves* Welcome!

Firstly, I think you should keep in mind that this thread is over a year old, so some opinions may have changed. Laughing

My own feeling is that there is just so much characterization put into that relationship over three movies, 89 TV episodes, and countless books and comics, that it would be very hard to to break Al/Jas up in a realistic way. So I don't think that it's bad to try, but it is very difficult and that people should keep that in mind when they write alternate pairings. And I think what others here are complaining about is when one half the pairing suddenly drops the other without a thought, or when one of their characterizations is mangled in an attempt to break them up... that kind of thing.

As for putting them in difficult situations and straining that relationship to the breaking point... well, that's pretty much the fandom national passtime (and the series writers' as well, come to think of it). But then you run into the problem of everything's already been done... Sorry, this is turning into a rant. Laughing

I agree with your interpretation of Mozenrath; I mean, isn't that what giving up his hand for the gauntlet's power was supposed to show us about him? And when he found out it was killing him, he didn't mope about it for too long, he went out and tried to do something about it. He can be a little whiny when things don't go his way, but he gets over it pretty quickly.
Cantare
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I also hate it OOC writing especially breakups that happen out of nowhere, and pairings that happen out of nowhere. I entered the fandom much later than everyone else here it seems, so I've actually missed out on a lot of the horrible Al/Moze, Jas/Moze, etc. fics that seem to have existed. I guess I should be thankful of that.

Ah, Mozenrath. What a kickass character. If anyone could have beaten Aladdin, it would have been him, if it weren't for the screenwriters' intervention. Heh.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~cantare
Tokyorose
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost all the jafar/jasmine fanfiction are poor, except for this one i found. Its actually amazing.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4527497/1/Poison_Power_Play

I really hope she writes more, its the only aladdin fanfic that i've read that i've really enjoyed, and that jafar wasn't completely OOC.
Brighteyes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera brought up an excellent point earlier. I notice that many pple (not just in this fandom, but numerous others) will try to excuse a villain's behavior/actions by blaming it on their tragic pasts or whatever. I get if you really like a villain, but really, they're not these innocent lil' waifs at heart (you see this a lot in Gargoyles fics with Demona -- it REALLY gets under my skin).

Pple have already nailed a lot of the pet peeves that I've noticed with Aladdin fic. Here's something that bugs me: original characters with names like Diane and Keisha and such, names that have no business being in the Aladdin-verse.

*L* Someone wrote about Jafar having an eating disorder? For serious??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum