Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Origins of Xerxes and Iago
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Origins of Xerxes and Iago
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cantare
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Origins of Xerxes and Iago Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone's thought about the origins of these two animal sidekicks before. I have read an unfinished fic by an author on ffnet concerning where they came from, but haven't really come across many other fics (especially concerning Xerxes).

Anyone have theories?

In my own story I have Xerxes as a human and Mozenrath's friend, who gets turned into an eel by accident. I thought about making him an eel to begin with that was given awareness and the ability to fly by Mozenrath, but then I couldn't nail down a good reason why Mozenrath would keep the annoying thing around. It doesn't seem to be that useful, except to stroke his ego by calling him Master and obeying his every whim. So I figured that Xerxes had to have some significance to Mozenrath in order for him not to just get a more useful, smarter (and perhaps more attractive) familiar.

Apologies if this thread already exists somewhere. I'm a latecomer to this board.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~cantare
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I think I know the fic you mean... Wink

Now that I think about it, it's amazing that so few people have written about Xerxes's origins, considering how much has been written about Mozenrath's! I know Celeste had a theory similar to yours, that Xerxes used to be human and was Mozenrath's friend before he got transformed. I also wrote a human Xerxes, but my fic took place a long time before he got changed. Since it'll probably be awhile before I write the sequel, in a nutshell, Xerxes used to be a crony of Destane's, and got turned into an eel as punishment after he betrayed Destane; Xerxes then helps Mozenrath beat Destane as revenge. I hadn't really thought much about why Mozenrath would still keep him around though. Laughing

My Iago answer is going to run really long; I'll get back to that later. Laughing
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda figured Mozenrath kept Xerxes around because it beat talking to the walls, and he did come in handy now and then.

Xerxes is a very odd eel; as a human, I think he'd be downright creepy. Can you imagine a human acting that way? Oy.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iago makes no sense. Not only should he not be a macaw (because they are native to South America, which had not been discovered yet) he should not be named after a character in a play that hadn't been written yet. You have to come up with some kind of bizarre theories to make it work.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafar is a magician though... Which makes making Iago make sense a little easier Wink

I have never written or given a whole lot of thought to Iago's origin... Just that Jafar probably took him from poverty (the bird version Smile ) and trained him to be his sidekick.

The closest thing I had to writing about his origin is a brief mention of him in my fanfic "No Longer Thirsty" in which I mention him being a young bird to a vizier-in-training Jafar before Jasmine's birth.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be why Jafar bought him, though. Because he is this strange species of bird no one has heard of. Iago could have flown away from not-yet-discovered-South America, and was then caught and sold in a bazaar.

Not to mention there's some type of South Americanesque area they travel to in the series, so as far as the Aladdin universe is concerned, it's sort of possible...although that might be implying they discovered South America Laughing
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
That could be why Jafar bought him, though. Because he is this strange species of bird no one has heard of. Iago could have flown away from not-yet-discovered-South America, and was then caught and sold in a bazaar.

Not to mention there's some type of South Americanesque area they travel to in the series, so as far as the Aladdin universe is concerned, it's sort of possible...although that might be implying they discovered South America Laughing

I heard that there were signs that Africans got to South America before Europeans did. Albeit it would have been by accident, but there were discoveries of statues with Negroid features.

So, it's possible, in a non-fictional way.
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that some Indians may have wandered off thataway...

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can come up with theories about why there's a macaw in Agrabah, but I cannot come up with theories about why that macaw is named Iago. There's no canon proof Jafar can visit, or even see, the future. Because if Jafar had time travel powers, he'd bloody well use them, and not on something so insignificant as seeing a play written a few centuries later somewhere far away from Agrabah.

I mean, yes, it would be a lot of fun to picture a time-traveling Jafar, but he's just not powerful enough before he gets his second wish.
Cantare
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. I think it's funny how people are talking about the unrealistic-ness of a South American macaw with an anachronistic name in Aladdin, when basically everything else in the show doesn't follow time or cultural rules. Like the fact that Mechanikles makes high tech machines in the 3rd century. Or everything that Genie does for that matter.

Well, one crack theory could be that it was an act of a rogue genie or some supernatural being that transcends time (and reason), that brought Iago into the world. One of Genie's friends was playing Amazon Trail, grabbed a scarlet macaw off the screen, and alt+tabbed to his Sparknotes on Othello, and slapped the villainous name "Iago" on the unwitting bird.

Calluna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafaria wrote:
Iago makes no sense. Not only should he not be a macaw (because they are native to South America, which had not been discovered yet) he should not be named after a character in a play that hadn't been written yet. You have to come up with some kind of bizarre theories to make it work.

Abu's a new world monkey, too (old world monkeys don't have tails like that), and Thundra looks a lot like a quetzal. I know a lot of you think that that the Valley of Thundra's somewhere in the Americas, but Genie's map showed it in Africa so that's what I'm going with. I've got some half-baked ideas about Malcho and Thundra leaving Cenral America and maybe taking some of the wildlife with them (hey, that part of the world has a legend about a feathered serpent god who left after all...).

As for the name... Shakespeare didn't make that name up, it's older than him. Just googled it right now and it says it's the Spanish and Welsh version of the names Jacob or James, so you could just say that Iago's real name is the Arabic version of that (Yakub), just like Jasmine would really be Yasmin, Aladdin would really be Ala' al din, etc.

Oh, and I found the old thread about Iago's origin if you want to read that, Cantare:

http://www.aladdincentral.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2144
Cantare
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Calluna. Oh right, Iago's name did not originate with Shakespeare. It is quite an appropriate name though.

randomly about Xerxes: doesn't he remind you of the eels from the Little Mermaid? Well, he's dumber and not as creepy. But he's got the whole ugly, googly eye thing down pretty well.

Mozenrath really could do with a better sidekick, though. I don't really know what kind of animal or mystical creature would fit him well, but the ugly eel thing is weird. I figured he'd go for something more intelligent, like Jafar chose Iago. Maybe a raven or a carrion bird. But I guess since Iago's already a bird, they couldn't pick another bird for a sidekick. Oh, and Maleficent already has a raven...

Calluna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cantare wrote:
randomly about Xerxes: doesn't he remind you of the eels from the Little Mermaid? Well, he's dumber and not as creepy. But he's got the whole ugly, googly eye thing down pretty well.

Mozenrath really could do with a better sidekick, though. I don't really know what kind of animal or mystical creature would fit him well, but the ugly eel thing is weird. I figured he'd go for something more intelligent, like Jafar chose Iago. Maybe a raven or a carrion bird. But I guess since Iago's already a bird, they couldn't pick another bird for a sidekick. Oh, and Maleficent already has a raven...

I hear that Saleen was based off an old design for Ursula, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear that Xerxes was based on Flotsam and Jetsam...

I'd guess with Xerxes' personality they were going for something like an Igor kind of character, but as for why he's a flying eel I can't really guess; I want to know what they were smoking when they came up with that. Laughing

I remember reading an interview with Tad Stones where he talked about working on the Atlantis series, and how his bosses had said they had to add an animal sidekick, so they put in... I think it was some kind of lizard? Anyway, maybe it was that kind of situation. Laughing
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:

As for the name... Shakespeare didn't make that name up, it's older than him. Just googled it right now and it says it's the Spanish and Welsh version of the names Jacob or James, so you could just say that Iago's real name is the Arabic version of that (Yakub), just like Jasmine would really be Yasmin, Aladdin would really be Ala' al din, etc.

Good point about the name, I hadn't thought of that.
Brighteyes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cantare wrote:

This might seem stereotypical, but for some reason, I see Mozenrath with either a fox or wolf sidekick/familiar myself. That might be a funny story; Xerxes loosing his job to a better sidekick and trying to get it back.

Someone bought up Thundra earlier; I've heard her called a phoenix someplace before, so I've started thinking of her as one too. Perhaps one based on a quetzel.

On Iago: I kinda figured that he began as a normal bird that was bought by Jafar and used in magical experiments or something that gave him self-awareness and knowledge of future things and events (like, didn't he mention having a cousin in some U.S. state before?).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum