Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Air Feather Friends
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Feather Friends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Air Feather Friends Reply with quote

I've watched this episode a few times this week and I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks about it.

It has the distinction of being the series' first episode, both in production order and airing order. (I assume it's second to RoJ only, but is that necessarily a fair assumption? Obviously, RoJ came out way before the episode aired, so would that just count as an extended pilot to the series, production wise? Or would they have done a separate story first to test the series premise? This has become a different thread entirely. Laughing)

Anyway, this has always been pretty high up on my list, probably just out of the top 10. I love that it opens with Fazal and Omar. That may sound silly, but I love episodes that don't start with our heroes. It's fun to hear conversations that we're not used to and interactions that don't often get a lot of time.

I also love the banter between Aladdin and Rasoul/Fazal. They're taunting each other, the crowd rallies behind Rasoul, Aladdin gets bullied into the bet to save face... great stuff. It's also, I don't know, strange? that Aladdin tells the guards to get off their butts and go after the thieves, rather than just doing it himself. Laughing It's kind of the opposite of Aladdin going after Abis Mal for who knows what reason at the start of RoJ.

Another random opposite-- we get this big D: moment with Fazal putting the leash on Abu... when Aladdin does it a couple episodes later. Laughing

Lastly, I love the bits of dialogue between Abis Mal and his men. This explains why they start to disappear over the course of the series. Haroud was right. Laughing

What do you guys think?
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go D: when Aladdin does it there, too Laughing

I haven't seen this one in a while, too. I need to have a series marathon. I remember wanting a feather Laughing
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aladdin leashing Abu = the great character assassination of 1994. Laughing I hate to claim bad writing for the characters, but that's something I just can't justify any other way. Yeah, Abu embarrassed him in front of the Sultan, but a leash?! Really?!

I'm with you on needing a series marathon. I tried to list Akbar's episodes today and realized that I had completely forgotten him in "Caught By the Tale"... and forgot that the Skull and Dagger was in it at all. I'm slippin'. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell myself he was acting that way because Abu was acting more like an un-trained pet than a bad friend, so he treated him like a pet, but then I can't justify Aladdin downgrading Abu like that. He's quick to correct people when they call Abu his pet by saying he's his friend, and considers an animal on the same level as himself. Not that many people considered Aladdin all that high on the scale either, but still, that's the beauty of their friendship and Aladdin's character Laughing

That's what I love about this series. After all these years, I still don't know everything yet and I have to keep refreshing myself with it to remember things.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I have the issue with too. I can't see him treating Abu like that, especially as close as that episode is to this one. Aladdin he does kinda sell Abu out in AFF to avoid humiliation, he didn't do it to be malicious-- he did it because he got caught up in the moment and didn't realize how it would hurt Abu.

I love that too. There's so many different characters and settings and situations that it's impossible to have it all 100% memorized and taken in. Also, there's a lot of issues to discuss and think about and tie together... I mean, there's a reason we're still here talking about it almost 15 years later. Laughing
Calluna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have more to say about this ep later, but just for now...

I'm having a lot of fun taking screencaps of this episode. Maybe it's just because the last episode I saw was Armored and Dangerous, but the animation seems pretty good by series standards...
Calluna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Air Feather Friends Reply with quote

Salukfan wrote:
(I assume it's second to RoJ only, but is that necessarily a fair assumption? Obviously, RoJ came out way before the episode aired, so would that just count as an extended pilot to the series, production wise? Or would they have done a separate story first to test the series premise? This has become a different thread entirely. Laughing)

All the RoJ cels I've seen were labeled episode #37; not sure what exactly that implies... I read somewhere else that "Fowl Weather" was the first script completed, but I don't know if they're including RoJ.

Salukfan wrote:
I also love the banter between Aladdin and Rasoul/Fazal. They're taunting each other, the crowd rallies behind Rasoul, Aladdin gets bullied into the bet to save face... great stuff. It's also, I don't know, strange? that Aladdin tells the guards to get off their butts and go after the thieves, rather than just doing it himself. Laughing It's kind of the opposite of Aladdin going after Abis Mal for who knows what reason at the start of RoJ.

I love that argument, but it bothers me that Fazal got roped into the bet, he had about as much to do with it as Abu did.

Maybe what Aladdin did to Abis Mal in RoJ was more to get the jeweled flower for Jasmine than anything else?

You know in that other thread how we were discussing how Agrabah would deal with all its magical enemies? I think what we're seeing in the beginning of this episode is the pre-Aladdin strategy of dealing with magical attackers: don't provoke them, fight them if they show up and attack people, but don't pursue them when they leave. If you don't have magic on your side, that's pretty much the best strategy to keep Agrabah safe. No wonder the guards got so pissed at him... ("You want us to go after the wind demons, get ourselves killed and make them so angry they'll attack Agrabah again? Why would we do that, exactly?" Laughing )

Edit: I just noticed that director Tad Stones was one of the writers on this ep. I think the only other one he wrote was "When Chaos Comes Calling", correct?

Edit again: This is one of the episodes Abis Mal is funniest in, but I'm kind of sad because I just realized I've been mishearing one of his lines all these years: it was "see those guys", not "seize those guys". It was a lot funnier the other way. Laughing
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All the RoJ cels I've seen were labeled episode #37; not sure what exactly that implies... I read somewhere else that "Fowl Weather" was the first script completed, but I don't know if they're including RoJ.

Hmm, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first done in general. It was the Genie audition piece and all... though Dan had to be pretty new to voicing Genie when he did ROJ, because he's not performing it in the same way as later on.

This is off-topic, but I imagine that ROJ's songs were added in once it went to DTV (I could be wrong). I wonder what changed within the story when those changes happened? The big gaffe is Aladdin's sudden wardrobe change after "Forget About Love"... I wonder if that scene used to play out with him actually leaving the palace and coming back or something?

Quote:
Maybe what Aladdin did to Abis Mal in RoJ was more to get the jeweled flower for Jasmine than anything else?

I wonder if Aladdin was considering stealing it himself and then Abis Mal beat him to it? Obviously, Aladdin wasn't on mission to regain someone's stolen wealth... there may be a Robin Hood aspect to this (Abis Mal's gang pulled off a major heist and Aladdin easily took back what they worked really hard for Laughing )

Quote:
Edit: I just noticed that director Tad Stones was one of the writers on this ep. I think the only other one he wrote was "When Chaos Comes Calling", correct?

I'm not sure how many Tad did, but he definitely did two of the funniest series episodes. He did Iago and Genie really well...
Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salukfan wrote:
Hmm, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first done in general. It was the Genie audition piece and all... though Dan had to be pretty new to voicing Genie when he did ROJ, because he's not performing it in the same way as later on.

To me Genie in RoJ sounds similar to how he sounds in Fowl Weather, but maybe I'm just fooling myself, since I know that's what Dan auditioned with.

I'm curious who else auditioned...

Salukfan wrote:
This is off-topic, but I imagine that ROJ's songs were added in once it went to DTV (I could be wrong). I wonder what changed within the story when those changes happened? The big gaffe is Aladdin's sudden wardrobe change after "Forget About Love"... I wonder if that scene used to play out with him actually leaving the palace and coming back or something?

I'm having trouble trying to find the interview that proves it, but I remember reading that the end of Forget About Love is where the Australian animation ends and the Japanese animation begins. I checked it out the last time I watched RoJ and I believe it, the style changes a lot. So I'm not surprised there were continuity issues between the two studios...

As for what got cut from RoJ, I actually have a partial answer!

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&category2=&article_no=2191&page=3
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.disney/msg/063346c6858bc3af

18 minutes were cut, and it was all Australian animation (so probably before Forget About Love). So, yeah, almost an entire episode's worth of animation on the cutting room floor. Why not put any of that on the DVD, huh? Razz

Haven't seen any mention in those interviews of adding songs, so I'm guessing they were in there before. Weird, I know, but it was supposed to be aired for the first time as a TV movie...

Salukfan wrote:
I wonder if Aladdin was considering stealing it himself and then Abis Mal beat him to it? Obviously, Aladdin wasn't on mission to regain someone's stolen wealth... there may be a Robin Hood aspect to this (Abis Mal's gang pulled off a major heist and Aladdin easily took back what they worked really hard for Laughing )

I want to know who that flower originally belonged to... and how they reacted when they saw Jasmine with it. Laughing

So Al gets to do some wealth redistribution, get something for Jasmine, show off, and stave off boredom at the same time! It's win, win, win, win! Laughing

Salukfan wrote:
I'm not sure how many Tad did, but he definitely did two of the funniest series episodes. He did Iago and Genie really well...

I was looking at his usenet posts just now to find that info about RoJ, and I noticed he was using that "does this mean we can get a dog?" quote from AFF as his signature at one point. It all makes sense now. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
18 minutes were cut, and it was all Australian animation (so probably before Forget About Love). So, yeah, almost an entire episode's worth of animation on the cutting room floor. Why not put any of that on the DVD, huh? Razz

Disney has to find where they shoved it first Laughing. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on a special edition DVD in another 10 years.
Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Disney has to find where they shoved it first Laughing. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on a special edition DVD in another 10 years.

I keep hoping cels from it will turn up on the internet, but no luck so far. I thought I found one, once, but it turned out to be a cut scene from Seems Like Old Crimes. Still good, but not what I was hoping for. Sad
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

At least it didn't get cropped for no reason. /bitter.

Seriously, though, 18 minutes? Wow... Stones said it wasn't really plot-moving stuff, so just 18 minutes of assorted gags and character bits? I want it, now. Add it in, Disney. You know you want to. Laughing

Quote:

Haven't seen any mention in those interviews of adding songs, so I'm guessing they were in there before. Weird, I know, but it was supposed to be aired for the first time as a TV movie...

That makes sense... too bad we couldn't have more random song moments. We have Bebe Neuwirth as Mirage, it would have been awesome. Laughing

Quote:
I want to know who that flower originally belonged to... and how they reacted when they saw Jasmine with it. Laughing

So Al gets to do some wealth redistribution, get something for Jasmine, show off, and stave off boredom at the same time! It's win, win, win, win! Laughing

It'd be hilarious if there was some random fall out from this. Some international incident over this random flower that's never seen again. Laughing

Quote:
I was looking at his usenet posts just now to find that info about RoJ, and I noticed he was using that "does this mean we can get a dog?" quote from AFF as his signature at one point. It all makes sense now. Laughing

I love that quote. Laughing I use it semi-frequently... asking for a cat rather than a dog. Dogs are overrated. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum