Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Jasmine's mom - a survey
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jasmine's mom - a survey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How did Jasmine's mother die?
Childbirth
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Disease
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Accident
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Murder
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
She's still alive somewhere!
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Jasmine's mom - a survey Reply with quote

I'm still not 100% sure what to think about that new Jasmine video, but whatever else it is it has got me thinking about a lot of Aladdin-related topics I hadn't really considered before, and one of them is Jas's mom and what happened to her.

Most of the picture books seem to imply that she died when Jas was old enough to remember her, and in a lot of fics she's murdered in some Jafar-related plot. My original thought back when I was a kid was that she'd died in some kind of plague which had also killed Aladdin's mom (the Great Mother-Killing Virus of '83? Laughing ), but as you can guess I'm not too hot on that idea anymore.

I know my assumptions about these kinds of things tend to be radically different from other people's, so I'm just kind wondering what you all think. If you're not sure just post your gut reaction; this is purely for my own curiosity. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Accident" and "Disease" have always been my top choices. (This sounds like a terrible game of Aladdin!Clue Laughing) I use to think child birth when I was younger, but then I started reading books that, like you said, implied Jasmine was at least a toddler old enough to remember being told stories by her that changed my mind.

I think I lean more towards disease, though, just to kinda justify in my head the sultan maybe keeping Jasmine inside the palace walls a little more than usual to keep her from all that. One of those "She can't get sick and die if she doesn't go out there where all the diseases are at" type things. I just find it a bit much she's been in isolation for almost 16 years, even for a princess. Even in the original story the princess was allowed out. She was fully veiled and there was death upon anyone who looked at her when they were suppose to be locked away in their houses while she went sight-seeing, but she did get out Laughing.

Just off the bat, "On a trip (because I dunno, I have the feeling her mother was really out-going and liked to travel), she caught a disease, it didn't kick in until some months later, her health slowly got worse, and it eventually killed her" is my random base theory. I can't get that out of my head just like I can't get the image of Aladdin's mother dying in her sleep from all around stress, sickness, sadness, etc. out of my head. I don't know why.

And as much of a bastard as Jafar can be, I really can't see him killing off the Queen for funsies. I mean, what did he expect to gain from that? Become Queen himself? Laughing Iago had to give him the idea to drop Jasmine and the sultan off a cliff when he was done with them as it is, soo....
Merkal
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with disease because it seems the most plausible. Accident maybe.. I'm in doubt. She's obivousily not alive somewhere, Jafar would like already said not gain much by taking her out the loop unless she exposed his evil plan to rule the world someday.

Childbirth, to tragic for her daughter (you know the I killed my mom guilt like in movies and TV) and thebooks say otherwise anyway.
Other, open book could be anything. From being vanished during a diplomatic party to who knows what.
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted disease, simply as most plausible. Accident and other just seem too complicated, and definately not a plot by Jafar.
Calluna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
(This sounds like a terrible game of Aladdin!Clue Laughing)

It was Jafar in the Menagerie with the Lead Pipe! Laughing

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I think I lean more towards disease, though, just to kinda justify in my head the sultan maybe keeping Jasmine inside the palace walls a little more than usual to keep her from all that. One of those "She can't get sick and die if she doesn't go out there where all the diseases are at" type things.

Ooh, hadn't thought of that before; I like a theory that explains things. Cool

I *did* notice that in this new video one of the things Jasmine was considering doing was starting a hospital, though, and if Jas's mom died of an illness that might be where that interest came from...

AladdinsGenie wrote:
And as much of a bastard as Jafar can be, I really can't see him killing off the Queen for funsies. I mean, what did he expect to gain from that? Become Queen himself? Laughing

Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion on that; I agree that Jafar is willing to kill, but I think he would have to have a *reason*, and I can't think of anything he'd have to gain by killing the queen. And, yes, in RoJ and HataN he was willing to kill for revenge, but by then he had nothing to lose. In the fics I'm thinking of he was already vizier, so he had plenty to lose if he got caught in a plot like that.

Merkal wrote:
Childbirth, to tragic for her daughter (you know the I killed my mom guilt like in movies and TV)

Yeah, that's become a bit of a cliche, huh? Laughing I kind of a gut feeling that Jasmine remembers her mother, but I'm not counting this theory completely out; she could have died giving birth... to Jasmine's younger sibling, who also died, maybe? Hey, at least it's original! Laughing

Just recently I've started thinking maybe it was some kind of horseback riding-related accident, since according to that new video Jas's mom was also a horse-y person. (Can I just say I love the idea of her and Sultan having a common interest like that? It just makes that whole relationship a lot more appealing in my mind.) I mean, it can be a dangerous hobby, just ask Christopher Reeve. And I feel like an accident like that would also go a long way to explaining Sultan's overpossessiveness of his daughter.

Anyway, right now I am voting for disease just because it seems the most likely to me right now, but I am a long way from making up my mind definitively.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
I *did* notice that in this new video one of the things Jasmine was considering doing was starting a hospital, though, and if Jas's mom died of an illness that might be where that interest came from...

She seems to be a bit of a stickler over health, too. "You need time to heal!", "Oh no, ____ is sick. We need to do something." That could just be stating the obvious about Jasmine's character as a whole having that mothering attitude, but I'm just throwing stuff out there right now Laughing

Quote:
Just recently I've started thinking maybe it was some kind of horseback riding-related accident, since according to that new video Jas's mom was also a horse-y person. (Can I just say I love the idea of her and Sultan having a common interest like that? It just makes that whole relationship a lot more appealing in my mind.) I mean, it can be a dangerous hobby, just ask Christopher Reeve. And I feel like an accident like that would also go a long way to explaining Sultan's overpossessiveness of his daughter.

I thought that when I saw this topic, actually Laughing. I remember watching a documentary on King Tut a few years ago on how they think he might have had an accident that caused his death since there seems to be a mysterious gash in his leg. They think he fell off his horse during a battle, was severly injured but didn't really notice it, and pretty much went downhill as far as health was concerned until he died.

And I totally see the sultan and Jasmine's mother being this adventurous couple that would go on horseback rides to other places, but then after her death, the sultan getting a lot more stricter about being so free and wreckless; doubling this attitude even more so for Jasmine and contributing to her feeling like she's caged.
Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
She seems to be a bit of a stickler over health, too. "You need time to heal!", "Oh no, ____ is sick. We need to do something." That could just be stating the obvious about Jasmine's character as a whole having that mothering attitude, but I'm just throwing stuff out there right now Laughing

I just finished watching "Garden of Evil" again, and the look on Jasmine's face when they talk about the "slow death" of the flower in a vase... That really struck a chord with her, didn't it? Traumatic memories, maybe?

It's amazing the kind of crazy theories I can come up with when I start looking for this kind of thing. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, slow torture and misery of any kind just doesn't seem to be her thing Laughing. She was just about distraught over the situation with the people of Quirkistan, she was pleading for Jafar to stop letting Iago shove crackers down her father's throat (I almost wanna say Jafar is completely aware of that, too, because even in ROJ he threatened if she didn't stop talking back her father wasn't going to remain healthy. If he was around for the death of her mother and saw how she reacted to that, that would be the perfect thing to strike. Hm...), and wasn't thrilled about Amok slamming Genie against the wall over and over again and beating him up in general either.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a thing against slow and painful, too, but it doesn't make me a 'dentist.'

Wait...

Okay, now seriously...

I don't have any emotional scars involving a long and painful death, but I sure's heck don't like seeing anyone suffer. I think in this case we might be reading into Jasmine's behaviors a little too far.

As for Jafar's remark about the sultan "staying healthy," I believe he was making a dramatic understatement. Think of it more like "If you want your father to stay healthy, if you know what I mean."

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice; you're not Jasmine, though. Besides, dentists aren't that bad Laughing

What I'm trying to say is she doesn't come off to me as the type of person that could watch something be dragged out like that, whereas some people can. Kind of one of those pull the plug now or let them live it out type situations. She seems to me to be more of a crush them quick and get it over with type girl because Jasmine's patience is very low. No one really likes watching suffering, but there's more than one way to handle it.

Exactly. He could have threatened to kill him, it's not like death is completely out of Jafar's range, and instead he pulled that card. He didn't say he would kill him; just that he wouldn't be in the best of states, which might lead to death because sultan isn't the fittest of people. If he didn't think that would mean something to her, I don't think he would have said that because what would be the point? Hell, he could have said if you don't be quiet, I'll do something to YOU, but instead he went straight to her father. That has to hold some weight.
Calluna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, but he's a genie. Rule number one? Laughing I'm sure he'd just get Abis Mal or Iago or someone to do it, but, still... Wink
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the SGA reference, didn't you...?

I think Jafar was threatening to have the Sultan killed. Think of it like this:

"You'll give me the money if you want your wife to stay healthy, you know what I mean?" *cue video of villain holding gun to woman's head*

I can't think of any examples right off hand, but it happens in TV often enough.

Calluna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if that was directed at me or AG, but if it was me I'm the one who wasn't ever an SGA fan. Laughing But I'd always assumed he was threatening to kill Sultan, but it just occured to me that he can't actually do that anyway.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
Well, yeah, but he's a genie. Rule number one? Laughing I'm sure he'd just get Abis Mal or Iago or someone to do it, but, still... Wink

I forgot about that myself Laughing, but it's not like he can't toss him in a fire or something which would kill him Laughing. I was always under the impression they can't directly kill someone, but there's a way around it.

Syera wrote:
You missed the SGA reference, didn't you...?

I haven't watched that in forever, so if it's new, then yeah I missed it Laughing
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's from season 1 - the special features on the DVD. "I've been doing things with girls' mouths since I was sixteen, but I don't consider myself a dentist."

It's one of my favorite lines ever for some reason. Razz

@Calluna: the film made it pretty clear that there was a way around it: "...Which means I can't kill anyone, unless I have someone arrange it for me."

IE, he couldn't directly kill anyone, but he could get someone else to do it for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum