Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - The Genie Appreciation Thread
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Genie Appreciation Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genieownsmyheart
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: The Genie Appreciation Thread Reply with quote

...so in the few days I've been here, I've seen lots of threads about specific aspects of Genie and such, but not one central thread for general thoughts and appreciation.

Movie, cartoon, remake, musical - everything about Genie goes here. Have fun.

(Oh, and if there's already a threat like this, please feel free to merge mine with it.)
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original '92 Genie plush was the first thing I ever owned from this movie as a kid and it's the only thing I still have left from that time since the dolls didn't make it (poor Aladdin's head had to be super glued on and his neck had a hole in it; I only JUST threw that doll out about two years ago before I refuse to let him go Laughing And Jasmine was part of a kidnapping that involved my little sister Mad ).

I always kind of modeled myself after Genie a bit when I was a teenager, though, being kind and hopefully funny enough to put a smile on someone's face. It was even my nickname in high school with a few friends. And actually, I wear a little Genie necklace every day

And he's on my phonecase/my phone is themed to him, so he's never really far from my heart Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me Genie is the father I have never had. When I was 11 I was longing for a father figure due to my fallout with father ever since he left mother and things just got worse as I turned 9 and my sister was born from the person he was with at that time. Let's just say she wasn't exactly kind to me and he seemingly never noticed or did anything to protect me.

(Actually now that I think about it, that time period was quite messy for me, alone almost all the time due to mother working a lot and afraid to go to father thanks to that woman. I was mostly stuck with watching all kinds of movies, series and reading books, keeping my mind off that I was actually lonely (probably the reason why even today I keep daydreaming, planning stories and working on characters, since when I wasn't reading or watching, I was doing that exactly, just not that deep as I do now).)

Anyway, I got into a period where I was watching Disney movies nonstop and even reading the book versions. That's how I first got introduced to Aladdin and once I watched the movie... oh boy. I was just fascinated by it, especially with Genie. I watched the movie every day literally, replaying scenes in it such as when Genie gets summoned for the first time, the moments between him and Al and many more.

Funnily enough though his kind, caring, bit more serious side that really touched me. Sure I loved his jokes, but there was something very relatable whenever he showed that other side of himself and... after how my parents told me I should stop watching childish stuff and grow up (still 11) he actually appeared in my dream, telling me to not do that and just remain myself. I was dismissive at him, wanting to follow my parents' words and be a good girl to them, but I just couldn't help but feel bad how I treated him despite him clearly being worried about me and wanted the best for me in that dream.

Eventually I had a fallout with cartoons and kids related stuff overall and started to watch anime and other kinds of series (Interestingly enough that's when I got into both Doctor Who and Bleach along with the Doctor and Ichigo becoming my next 2 big favourites) while in the back of my mind both the Aladdin movie and Genie was still present and influencing my thinking which I kept pushing back to fulfill my parents desires and grow up finally.

Only when I turned 14 I realised that I'm not them and I should be my own self as I have my own strength and weaknesses and own desires (had a big turning point that even today has its effects and hopefully I can reach my dream I have started to go for back then) and with this I got back into Aladdin and my love for Genie grew bigger and bigger as years went on. I started to admit that I do view him as a father figure and hope to be a good person just like he is.

Of course to not be disrespectful to my parents, I keep this to myself and never told them about this.

Usually I simply just imagine myself being with him and talk to him about stuff I cannot express elsewhere irl or simply just hanging out with him when I'm lonely. I actually have a hard time admitting to him how I view him despite knowing he won't get mad at me. To this day I try to be a good person just like him, see the goodness in everyone and help out others, even if sadly my mind does turn for the worse at bad times and struggling with depression.

So yeah, Genie is quite dear to me and definitely influenced me in many ways over the years and I'm thankful for that. Laughing I even want to write a story based on some real events and a mix of fiction with one of the main characters having similar traits Genie has and may even mention this movie if it seems fitting.
genieownsmyheart
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I...I thought this thread would never take off, so to speak, but I guess I was wrong. Laughing

AG, I love that necklace and now I want one (or something similar) for when I have to be away from my Genie plush.

Zita (btw I hope it's okay that I'm calling you that), I too have 'daddy issues,' having never known my real father cause I was adopted right after I was born, so I understand your situation. Genie is definitely the ideal father figure in some ways (but I already found mine in Alan Cumming).

My own feelings about Genie are...complicated. I'm attracted to him romantically, as some of you know, but I also see him as something else...something I can't describe.
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genieownsmyheart wrote:
I...I thought this thread would never take off, so to speak, but I guess I was wrong. Laughing

AG, I love that necklace and now I want one (or something similar) for when I have to be away from my Genie plush.

Zita (btw I hope it's okay that I'm calling you that), I too have 'daddy issues,' having never known my real father cause I was adopted right after I was born, so I understand your situation. Genie is definitely the ideal father figure in some ways (but I already found mine in Alan Cumming).

My own feelings about Genie are...complicated. I'm attracted to him romantically, as some of you know, but I also see him as something else...something I can't describe.

Of course it's okay, lol Laughing Most peeps call me like that anyway. Razz.

I wouldn't call these "daddy issues " anymore. I have no harsh feelings towards him anymore, I just simply not connected to him emotionally and he's not even a bad person, just simply not a good father unless you have exact same interests as he has.

Welp, he is to me. I know to him I could be fully honest about things that are dear and interesting to me and also could talk to him when I need some, instead of just bottling up everything till I can't handle it anymore. Plus just have fun and see the good in the small, simple things as well.

(Perhaps this is why the movie also close to me because it encourages me to be myself instead of pretending to be something I'm not. )

Well, he sure has a romantic side. Laughing Hmm, soulmate maybe?
genieownsmyheart
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. The funny thing is I've known Genie forever (since I was 15) but for years I always preferred Aladdin himself.

And then I went to see the musical and...well, you know the rest of the story, but I have to wonder why cause Genie is like...the first thing everyone discovers, so to speak.

Like I said, it's complicated (especially since I also ship him with Aladdin) but I love him. <3
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genieownsmyheart wrote:
Maybe. The funny thing is I've known Genie forever (since I was 15) but for years I always preferred Aladdin himself.

And then I went to see the musical and...well, you know the rest of the story, but I have to wonder why cause Genie is like...the first thing everyone discovers, so to speak.

Like I said, it's complicated (especially since I also ship him with Aladdin) but I love him. <3

Aladdin is actually my second favourite from the movie. He's a really well-rounded character with very relatable traits and issues, while still remaining a likeable character.

Genie is something special plus he's voiced by Robin Williams. He truly made the character lovable in many, many ways giving not just humor but also heart. Hard to not notice him. Very Happy

Emotions are always complicated. Razz
genieownsmyheart
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I noticed him before, but just like...in a sort of 'oh yeah, he's funny' kind of way.

Now though...oh my god I can't get enough. And I envy Aladdin cause he gets to be with him day in and day out.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genieownsmyheart wrote:
Oh, I noticed him before, but just like...in a sort of 'oh yeah, he's funny' kind of way.

Now though...oh my god I can't get enough. And I envy Aladdin cause he gets to be with him day in and day out.

That was pretty much me before actually seeing the movie. Laughing

Al is truly lucky to have a friend like him, though it saddens me a bit that all the people Genie knows (minus Carpet and Eden) will be gone as time goes on... Sad
genieownsmyheart
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I didn't need my heart this morning. Sad

Also you can post Genie-related incorrect quotes and song parodies here too. Like I said, if it's about Genie, it goes here.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genieownsmyheart wrote:
Thanks. I didn't need my heart this morning. Sad

Also you can post Genie-related incorrect quotes and song parodies here too. Like I said, if it's about Genie, it goes here.

Sorry, was bad from me bringing that up. Confused
genieownsmyheart
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's okay. It'd be worse if it was actually Genie who was being hurt cause I really can't bear to see it.

...which is why the fight between Genie and Jafar during RoJ is so tough for me to sit through. Sad
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genieownsmyheart wrote:
No, that's okay. It'd be worse if it was actually Genie who was being hurt cause I really can't bear to see it.

...which is why the fight between Genie and Jafar during RoJ is so tough for me to sit through. Sad

Welp, careful with the series in the second half then... it can get pretty dark.
genieownsmyheart
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
Welp, careful with the series in the second half then... it can get pretty dark.

Thank you for that. I don't need a nasty surprise.

A concept: a version of Baby, You Can Drive My Car - except it's Aladdin, You Can Rub My Lamp. Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered the first ever Aladdin song I ever heard was There's a Party Here in Agrabah in Hungarian, yet I never figured out where it was from or who sang it till I actually watched King of Thieves.

Also as much as I adore Friend Like Me, can't help but prefer the Hungarian version of that one song over English one. The lyrics has hilarious word plays and Mikó just sings it brilliantly, truly a joy to listen to it even as an adult now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVGWQ7TiCn0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum